Zonte Video - February 19, 2024

Zonte Aug. 10, 2023 Video

New subscribers, setup your Login ( Menu-Login)

Subscriptions

Performance 2009 to 2023 (compound annual)

performance2009 2023Small

North American economy in retreat

More
7 years 11 months ago #453 by GoldnBoy
GoldnBoy replied the topic: North American economy in retreat
This is an amazing article by The Atlantic on a fed survey that showed 47% of Americans would have to borrow or sell something to come up with $400 emergency funds.

This is not what you find in a good economy or one that is supposedly at 5% unemployment which is a bigger joke than this cover story picture

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #445 by RonS
RonS replied the topic: North American economy in retreat
A good interview with Fed member Bullard here
www.cnbc.com/2016/05/05/outspoken-fed-of...ing-japans-path.html

James Bullard, president of the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, doesn't know when the American economy will fall into another recession. But he says it's increasingly likely that it will happen before the Fed has a chance to return its benchmark interest rate to a historically normal level.

He is probably right there as we may be headed into one right now

On raising rates - "If you talk to people in Tokyo, they say, 'Well, we've been through this and tried all these things and you guys are just following us,'" he said in the interview. "I hope that's not exactly true."

The general rule of thumb within the Fed is that labor market data trumps G.D.P. data. But when you're talking over a four-quarter sequence where you've had weak growth, that starts to become more suspect. We've projected 3 percent growth around the corner for the last several years in a row. But that just hasn't materialized, and I think at some point you have to take the signal that's being sent.

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #430 by Gambler
Gambler replied the topic: North American economy in retreat
What amazes me, those counted as not in the labor force surged by 562,000 for the month to more than 94 million. They make it look good by not counting all these with no jobs, and in most cases they just gave up looking for now

The population of Canada is 33 million. In the US that is like 3 Canada's sitting there with no job or if you look at the Canadian labour force at about 19 million.

It is like having 5 Canadas sitting there with no jobs and they talk about 5% unemployment rate.

I am not falling for that bluff and I bet those 94 million Americans are not being fooled either
Last Edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Gambler. Reason: spelling

More
7 years 11 months ago #429 by RonS
Good comments folks, Lynnsa they have no choice to fudge the numbers. How would it look if they reported job losses just 4 months after an interest rate hike?

They would look like idiots for the bad mistake they made.

We now have a better idea why retails sales have been falling, the job market sucks

They will fudge them short term to drag it out and hope for a turn around and gradually drag out bad numbers and blame it on the Global economy

More
7 years 11 months ago #427 by lynnsa10
lynnsa10 replied the topic: North American economy in retreat
I must have looked at 20 stories in the main stream on the Jobs report and not one mentions all the jobs with the birth death rate model. My God is the whole media under control or biased?

Most were pretty upbeat and said it was not that bad, only 1 month, economy still expanding and most of then dwelt on the better that expected wage growth of 2.5%, only the Bank in Germany mentioned any decent analysis.

The wage increase could have been because of a calendar quirk. Deutsche Bank's Torsten Sløk noted ahead of the report that because April 15 — payday for those on a biweekly schedule — fell early in the survey week for the jobs report, it was likely to cause an upward bias in earnings.

More
7 years 11 months ago #426 by Gambler
Gambler replied the topic: North American economy in retreat
Amazing, how weak the economy is, just 0.5% GDP reported for 1st qtr.

Previous months' numbers also were revised lower. The BLS cuts the February count from 245,000 to 233,000, while the March total fell from 215,000 to 208,000.

More
7 years 11 months ago #425 by RonS
April jobs report what a joke at 160.000. They had to majically create 233,000 jobs withe Birth/death rate model to get 160,000, without that would have been job losses

www.bls.gov/web/empsit/cesbd.htm

• Anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 11 months ago #420 by Anonymous
Anonymous replied the topic: North American economy in retreat
Dent says deflation and Bill Gross syas helicopter money and then inflation.

in his latest Investment Outlook note published Wednesday, he said the Federal Reserve and U.S. Treasury should engage in another round of quantitative easing (QE), printing trillions of dollars to buy government bonds and thereby boost the economy.

"Drop the money from helicopters," wrote Gross, manager of the $1.3 billion Janus Global Unconstrained Bond fund.

www.reuters.com/article/us-funds-janus-gross-idUSKCN0XV1AL ?

More
7 years 11 months ago #402 by RonS
This video by Dent is good and gives some good clues about whats wrong with the economy. I have read most of his books and he is real good on long term cycles. He can be off on the short term, but as he puts it, government intervention can alter timings.

He say major downturn in markets between now and early 2017

More
7 years 11 months ago #389 by lynnsa10
I listened to a video - a link in the link above that was with Larry Summers, who was puzzled why lower oil has not helped the US economy. They talked about economic conditions around the world and although they were sure to emphazise they were not predicting anything bad.

They had nothing good to talk about and seemed pretty dismal to me, here it is, but an hour long

More
7 years 11 months ago #386 by RonS
When Oil prices began a big decline I commented that this may be a ploy by the central planners to boost the US economy. My arguement then - it probably would not work this time becuase of the offset of the oil shale boom.

I just noticed the first article I seen about low Oil not rescuing the US economy

qz.com/604657/why-cheap-oil-hasnt-saved-the-us-economy/

More
7 years 11 months ago #381 by lynnsa10
This is a good video on paper money and Gold. It is a bit long, 50 minutes. Pretty solid argument on why the US$ will collapse

Moderators: RonS
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds
© 2019 Playstocks.net. All Rights Reserved. Designed By JoomShaper